Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Two More New Year's Eve Desserts


Aside from the 4 RHC cakes I made for New Year's Eve, I also made a Neapolitan Cheesecake which I got from George Geary's 125 Best Cheesecake Recipes. I love this book! I haven't made a cheesecake of his that I didn't end up loving and I've made A LOT from his book. His selection of no-bake cheesecakes is really tasty and easy to whip up.


The cheesecake is composed of 3 layers of different flavored cream cheese batter. The bottom is mixed with melted dark chocolate, the middle with melted white chocolate and the top with either strawberries or raspberries. I used raspberries. It has more steps than other cheesecake recipes but the results are well worth all the extra trouble. It looks so pretty when sliced as well as you can see all the colorful layers more clearly. The recipe called for chocolate ganache to be poured over the top until it trickled down the sides. I didn't do that though as I wanted to pipe pretty whipped cream rosettes around the top of the cake. I used some of the leftover ganache from my Devil's Food Cake and smeared the inside of my piping bag to create those marbled rosettes.



And since I had a lot of leftover dark fruitcake from a massive order I got last November and December, I decided to turn them into choclate fruitcake rum balls and roll them in different toppings like dark chocolate vermicelli, finely ground pecans, unsweetened cocoa powder, and crushed digestive biscuits. I had some white fruitcake as well which I mixed with Cointreau and rolled in 62% dark chocolate and topped with orange rind. All were delicious! It was hard picking a favorite...but the one rolled in cocoa powder just melts in your mouth beautifully.

Sorry about the ugly plate....I misplaced my pretty tiered plates which I'd intended to use for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment