This cupcake is really delicious...intensely chocolatey with the addition of a few ounces of melted chocolate in the batter. It's made even more intense with the addition of the chocolate ganache on top.
Anyone looking for a chocolate cupcake recipe could give this a try....you'll surely love it!!
Yield: 1 dozen
3/4 C All Purpose Flour
1/2 C Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
8 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, room temperature
3/4 white sugar, preferably super fine
2 Large eggs
2 ounces Bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
1/2 Sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat oven 350 F.
2. Line 2 standard sized cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
3. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
4. With mixer set on medium-high speed (I used Speed 4 on the Kitchenaid), cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition at medium high speed (speed 6 on KA). On low speed, add the melted chocolate. Mix in the dry ingredients alternating with the sour cream/plain yogurt. Stir in the vanilla.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the cups (about 1/3 cup batter for each cupcake). I find it easier to use an ice cream scoop. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool cupcakes while still in their pan for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool on wire rack.
6. Top with your favorite frosting.
I just melted semi-sweet chocolate to equal parts heavy cream (1 cup chocolate to 1 cup heavy cream) on top of a double boiler or metal/glass bowl placed on top of simmering water. Stir until melted. Let cool and spread over cupcakes with a metal spatula.