Monday, April 16, 2012

THB: Cheese-Swirled Chocolate Bundt Cake


Early last month I made black-bottom cupcakes for ABC which were moist and intensely chocolatey cupcakes with luscious cream cheese and chocolate chip filling -- a variation of Abby Dodge's Emergency Blender Cupcakes recipe found in her book The Weekend Baker.  I was very pleased with this recipe because it was so easy to make yet had such a rich flavor that you wouldn't think that it only took a couple of minutes to whip up.  This month's first ever THB (The Home Bakers) recipe is for Cheese-Swirled Chocolate Bundt Cake from the book "Coffee Cakes" By Lou Seibert Pappas -- a cake very similar in concept to the black bottom cupcakes that I made wherein the same cream cheese and chocolate chip mixture is sandwiched between thick chocolate batter but this time, baked in a bundt pan instead of cupcake molds.  I changed things up a bit this time though by adding dulce de leche to the cream cheese filling and omitting the chocolate chips.



I must say though that I'm a bit disappointed with this cake as it was dry (despite under-baking it) and the chocolate flavor wasn't as intense as I expected.  In fact, I would call this a very bland cake.  Looking at the recipe again I think the proportions are all wrong as there's too much all-purpose flour for the amount of oil and cocoa powder listed.  I think if I lessened the AP flour by 1/2 - 1 cup and added 1/2 cup more oil, the cake would be a lot moister.  I know I omitted the chocolate chips but I still think that this recipe would've benefitted from more cocoa powder as well.  Again, given the amount of AP flour I think 1 1/2 cups of cocoa powder instead of 2/3 cup would've made such a difference.




I'm certainly hoping the other recipes from this book would turn out better than this one!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janis,
    Most of us find this cake dry, with the exception of Abby, who has made some changes and hers turned out moist and nice. Yes, obviously there's something not right in the recipe, too much dry ingredients with not enough of liquid! Thank you for baking with THB,it's great to have you as a member of THB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your Cheese-Swirled Chocolate Bundt Cake looks awesome! I really love the idea of adding dulce de leche to the cream cheese filling! I was hoping to join the THB once I receive my cookbook but ended up too late. But nevertheless I got to know your blog via THB! Lovely blog & glad to be your new follower! Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete